31 January 2010

The Watts Towers


About a year ago, Steve and I were driving down the 105 and Steve saw a sign on the side of the road that showed the exit for the Watts Towers.  I didn't know what they were but when it comes to exploring L.A. I'm pretty much game.  So, this Saturday, with the sun finally shining, we figured we would check it out.  If you are in the area, I would definitely visit.  It's a very interesting piece of folk art.  Basically, an Italian man decided that he wanted to make something in his lift and so he started to create these towers in his backyard out of rebar, concrete, glass, ceramic, and whatever the community children would bring him.  The result is amazing, to say the very least.  To see some of the photos from the trip you can visit My Watts Tower Flickr Photos.  The Towers are part of the State Historic Park System.  Some cool information can be found at http://www.wattstowers.us/. ENjOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment