15 September 2011

Making Lots of Cornbread: The Importance of Serving Size

The World Famous Spot
So when my sister came to visit, she bought me a copy of the cookbook from my favorite veggie restaurant in the area, The Spot.  If you ever have the chance to head down to Hermosa for some great vegetarian food, I would definitely recommend it (the chili burger with "real" cheese, they have the vegan cheese but I prefer the real cheese on the burger).  So, anyhoo, my sissy got me a copy of their cookbook, Recipes from the Heart.  I decided to make their cornbread (another favorite from The Spot).
The Spot Cookbook

Those who know me know that I can cook well enough in order to feed myself.  I'll be the first to admit that Steve is much handier in the kitchen than I am.  Since I've been on leave, I've been trying my hand a bit more at the cooking thing.  It turns out the Steve keeps our pantry pretty well stocked so off I went for the final ingredients.

You know how most recipes tell you at the bottom how many servings (and even the nutritional information) you are making for your recipe so that you can scale up or down as needed?  Well, it turns out that the Cornbread recipe did not have this information.  It never really occurred to me to even think about it until I started mixing all of the ingredients.  Needless to say, I made a pretty substantial patch of cornbread.  Not to toot my own horn but it came out pretty tasty.  There's just a lot of it.  We finally got through the first pan of the bread.  We are making a good dent in the second one.  No matter how tasty anything may be, it's hard to eat it pretty much every day.  :) Oh well.  Just a word of advice, if you get the book and make the the cornbread, you WILL need the two pie pans.  It won't fit in one pan, unless it's really deep.  :)

Cook on!

No comments:

Post a Comment