11 June 2012

30 Books by 30

I am an avid reader of the Flavorpill.  Every once in a while they send out some really cool lists of musics, books, movies to experience.

Recently they sent me 30 Books to Read by 30.  The list was pretty cool and so I figure I would try to read them before I hit the big 3-4 :)  

Here's the list as it stands now.  I've crossed out the ones that I've read, there are a bunch that I'm hoping to read again since it's been so long.  

  1. The Illiad and The Odyssey, Homer 
  2. The Secret History, Donna Tartt
  3. Jesus’ Son, Denis Johnson
  4. The Complete Stories, Flannery O’Connor
  5. Much Ado About Nothing, William Shakespeare 
  6. The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
  7. The Road, Cormac McCarthy.  Steve is a huge Cormac McCarthy fan.  This is one of the saddest things I read but I did get through it. 
  8. Maus, Art Spiegelman
  9. Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card.  Seriously my favorite book of all time.  To say that I have read it 100 times would be a serious understatement.  
  10. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
  11. Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
  12. Ghost World, Daniel Clowes. I've read this book but it definitely warrants a re-read since I can't quite remember what it is about.  
  13. On the Road, Jack Kerouac
  14. Their Eyes Were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston
  15. Cat’s Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut
  16. Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
  17. The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
  18. 1984, George Orwell
  19. The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger I was a junior the first time I read this in Mrs. Spielvogel's class.  It could definitely use a re-read.  Doh. Mrs. Lynch was Junior year... We had Mr.s Spielvogel for AP English Senior year... bah I'm getting old.  
  20. The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald This was sophomore English.  I cannot remember the teacher's name.  I can picture her. I'll have to pull out the yearbook tonight when I get home.  AHA! I found it... Mrs. Crocco.
  21. Beloved, Toni Morrison
  22. Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
  23. Lord of the Flies, William Golding. This was an 8th grade read with Mrs. Almario, followed by watching the movie in class.  As much as I enjoyed getting out to class to watch a movie, this was definitely a bit disturbing.  
  24. Don Quixote, Miguel De Cervantes. I read this in college in the original Spanish.  I didn't get to really enjoy it since I was fighting with the language the whole time.  This time, I'll either read it in the modern Spanish or just go for English.  
  25. The Trial, Franz Kafka
  26. To the Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf
  27. Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
  28. Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison
  29. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee.  I read this in the four grade because Cathy was reading it for her summer reading.  Yep, I was SUPER Nerd.  I would read my summer reading list and then Cathy's.  At least it gave me someone to discuss the books with!   
  30. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson

Edited 6/12/12

No comments:

Post a Comment